By Alice Beyer Schuch – June 2019
Innovative Materials & Circular Economy
Cirkla Modo was invited for a guest lecture on Innovative Materials & Circular Economy for the Master’s Sustainability in Fashion and Creative Industries at AMD Akademie für Mode & Design, in Berlin, Germany.
The topic was developed as a workshop, initially presenting to students the conventional materials and theirs issues. Further, it was discussed innovations comprehending the recycling and biodegradability possibilities; agricultural waste fibres; bio-engineering alternatives; and even some eccentric experiments which may become reality one day…
Tools to support design decision were presented and guidelines developed together:
- Say no to conventional pollutant materials
- Ask if an already-made material can be reused
- Adopt recycled options to avoid primary extraction
- Prioritize organics and regenerative options
- Search for lower impact substitute materials
- Check better options and processes
- Avoid mixing natural & synthetics
The concept and principles of the Circular Economy were highlighted and connected to the before discussed textile alternatives. As outcome: a “Circular Material Passport”, inspired by EPEA, was developed and presented by the students. They analysed different alternatives in regards to:
- Design phase: raw materials and suppliers
- Manufacturing phase: product and processes
- Use phase: users, owners, and maintenance
- Collecting phase: reverse logistics, deconstruction, disassemble
- Next phase: remanufacturing, new cycles
Looking much forward to the next classes!
Interested in knowing more?
For fashion companies, educational institutions, or programs it is possible to increase designer skills with Cirkla Modo’s special training and mentoring in the topic of Sustainable Fashion & Circular Design Strategies. Get in contact or check some projects here.